The NEW Authentication System

Discussion in 'Server Announcements' started by Muqsit, May 28, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Muqsit

Muqsit Administrator
    Administrator Tier4

Authentication
    A new way of authenticating!
    Greetings Cosmonauts!
    As most of you have probably already found this out, the authentication on all planets...doesn't exist anymore. This week, we were working with authentication and have made it (slightly) faster to authenticate (and easier). And a + point, we have also added 2FA support!

The new way of authentication
    If you log onto any of the factions servers, you may notice this message:
    xs.PNG
    "You have been authenticated. If you would like to change your password, please visit the /hub."

You will be automatically authenticated based on your IP address. If your IP address does not match the IP address on your last successful login, you will be sent to the hub (play.cosmicpe.me:19132).

2FA and how to set it up
    2FA
    stands for Two-Factor Authentication. You might have probably heard about it by now, if you have your own email or an account on a social media website. CosmicPE uses Google Authenticator's API for two-factor authentication.

How to set up 2FA?
    1. Login to the /hub and type in /2fa
    2. You will be granted with a 'Secret Key' and a map with a barcode on it.
    3. Download Google Authenticator on your device. Links to the app: iOS | Android | Blackberry | Windows Phone
    4. Click the + sign (mostly located at the bottom right) in Google Authenticator.
    5. You have two options. Either manually 'Enter a provided key' or 'Scan a barcode'. If you want to enter a provided key, enter the 'Secret Key'. If you want to scan a barcode, scan the barcode given to you on the map.
    6. Once done, you'll find a slot on your Google Authenticator App. It will print out a random 6 digit number and refresh it every 30 seconds or so. The random 6 digit number is your 2FA code. Execute /2fa <code>.
    7. Congratulations! You have set up 2FA! Now every time your IP changes, once you enter your password, you will need to enter your 2FA secret code in the chat too.
    NOTE that if you delete the Google Authenticator app or the data from Google Authenticator, you are at risk of losing your account. You can remove 2FA by executing /2fa remove in the hub whenever you like.

This being the first week after the release of 2FA would mean that there might be some bugs with it. So we recommend you set it up next week. It isn't mandatory to set up 2FA, but we encourage you to do so.

#1 Muqsit, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. Gatoman11

Gatoman11 Sectional Moderator
    Sectional Moderator

Yay!!! My requested feature from pc version is HERE YAYA

Muqsit likes this.
  3. capt. patakis...

capt. patakis... Sectional Capetanator

thats all?
    I thought u gotta fix lag
    Imk not impressed I

4. Casualguy3

Casualguy3 Sectional Moderator
    Sectional Moderator

Umm, I think that people can already by pass this, all you do is you ask people their IP address and then change that in the wifi settings and kaboom, you're into someone's account.

5. Muqsit

Muqsit Administrator
    Administrator Tier4

Every person connected to the net has a unique IPv4 address. If there is a conflict between two IP addresses, both of them cannot use the net. Plus, you can't directly change your IP address like that (your ISP wouldn't recognize you), or else bypassing IP bans would've been way too easy. The only way to bypass is if the victim hosts his own public proxy server, which obviously no one would.

Gatoman11 likes this.
  6. Casualguy3

Casualguy3 Sectional Moderator
    Sectional Moderator

Ok

7. I_AM_B0SS

I_AM_B0SS Member

Lol this is all to complicated for me. I am just happy that we can join the server now without needing to put in our password. It is so much easier.

8. SilentWrath

SilentWrath New Member

Ikr then when cosmicPE is broken we don't need to type our password.Or Mia so I still need to